Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Bible Bridges: Part 18 "Tentative Confidence in a Late-Modern World"

Some people hear the word "postmodern" (or "late modern" - see Tim Keller's excellent article) and in their mind envision all sorts of dubious theories of knowledge, extreme subjectivity, and chaos of belief. While it is beyond the scope of the Bible Bridges series to engage in a deep discussion on the Enlightenment and what has resulted since, most of us can (hopefully) agree on one basic notion: to be "post" anything means something came before it. That something is often called modernity. The simple reason I mention it is that, like it or not, the contemporary church has been materially influenced by modernity (and yes late modernity as well - as Keller puts it, the late modern world is more a continuation of modernity). Do you doubt this? Check this out:


What strikes you at first glance? Right away I pick up on "Complete Analysis". Remarkable! Everything that could ever be deduced or induced from the Bible is contained in this exhaustive treatise (note my tongue and cheek are about to converge). Now, out of respect for those Bible scholars who preceded us, I can appreciate the work itself and its goals: "...the whole designed to facilitate the study and to promote the better understanding of the Word of God." Naturally, I do not have a complaint about that...in fact, the Bible Bridges series I have been putting forth has a very similar goal. 

So what's so wrong with this? It's the modern sense of complete certainty about a topic. This is what postmoderns critique, and with good reason: without question there could be someone living today who could add new analysis to this effort. Thus, it is no longer complete. Could it ever have been complete? Nein, dat it could not (spoken with my fake German accent). We are finite creatures carefully inquiring into the infinite God of the Word. Notice how I said that: God is infinite. Yet He has spoken definitively, and that Word (collectively) has been codified in the Bible. 

Scripture contains a limited number of words to be sure. With two millennia of study, Christians (collectively and individually) have gained access to much clear teaching. Yet should we presume we have a complete understanding? Seriously—every passage, every doctrine, every word—do we really want to declare we have an exhaustive, exclusive explanation and exposition of the entirety of the Word of God? Well, when you put it that way...

So why do well-meaning, sincere believers disagree on much of what is said in the Bible? That's a complex question, and there is no simple answer. However, two complimentary factors may be pride and fear. How can I say that? Because I have been there myself.

Many who knew me in high school would probably admit that I was extremely zealous about Christianity—more like offensive. It's one thing to offend with the gospel of Christ (cf. 2 Peter 2:8 "...A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense"). On this point, biblical Christianity hinges:
For the message about the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.” (1 Corinthians 1:18, NET)
Yet I have had many years to reflect. I will admit (to my shame) that I was both full of pride and fear as I argued with others about the Bible and every jot and tittle. As I have aged, I see the wisdom of John the Baptist: “He must become more important while I become less important” (John 3:30, NET).

So Jared, what does this have to do with Bible study? I'm glad you asked! In Christ and the gospel we have an essential confidence—unyielding and strong in the face of opposition. Upon this rock Christians must be bold (though not rude). I have no other hope, except what Christ has done for me. Yet as I read and study the Bible now, I find that humility is also essential. So I take care to discern between what is absolutely clear in the Bible (the doctrine of perspicuity of Scripture, or as Wayne Grudem puts it, the understandability of Scripture), and the more obscure passages that cause no small disagreement.

The crux of this installment of Bible Bridges: I advise a tentative confidence in those obscure sections. The truth is: you might be right, but you might be wrong. Keep studying. Keep questioning. Keep writing a journal on your reflections. You might discover your long-held assumptions are simply leading you away from what the Bible affirms. I have a good friend who journeyed from his adolescent saturation in Pentecostal teachings. Through prayer and hard work studying the Bible, he recognized the errors he had held and courageously jettisoned them for the truths he has since discovered in Scripture. I have also faced some assumed beliefs. In some cases I have re-affirmed them. Yet this is done with deeper inspection and a realization that I have much to learn. There are still much in Scripture for which I could have a clearer understanding.

What would it look like if more Christians graciously engaged one another this way? Yes, believers should draw certain lines. Yet where it is clear that they are in Christ, those of differing traditions and practice can extend the right-hand of fellowship and encourage dialogue. We might grab some coffee and talk about how we see Scripture affirming a principle, and maybe learn something from another believer who has a different view. I sometimes refer to this as a messy unity: under different ecclesiastical umbrella yet enjoying the sweet fragrance of the merciful rain that falls from heaven and helps us grow. It's actually God's Word that can offer the best path to collective growth and unity, if we season our discourse with a little humility.

Until next time...Christ be with you.

No comments:

Followers

Networked Blogs