Thursday, March 27, 2014

A Cat's Purrspective and Prayer Request

I know that many out there are not cat people. As I see things, it appears that dog people have a much easier time of it. For starters, they typically know what they want in life. They wake up ready for their walk and potty time, then go about their day following their passion (do note the singular form of that noun). Of course, all of us (cats and dogs) have some basic routines and some normal urges. In fact, I can safely say these drives are given to us by our Creator and can be channeled in healthy patterns. So this is not to judge anyone out there...this post is about me (and other cat people who might relate to me).

Cats are known for sleeping much of their day away. I don't honestly think they're particularly tired purr se, it's simply their choice. As this picture above of our beloved Kira Kitty shows, slumbering her ideal situation. She is contented to find the most comfortable place and nap away. Ah, what a life.

Yet, anyone who has owned a cat for any length of time knows this is not the entire story. Sometimes our feline friends are simply indecisive. When inside, they want out. And after a few minutes outside, they want back in. Naturally, they depend on their humans to oblige them when facing such seemingly obvious choice: do you want in, or out?


For cats and some people whose thinking is more akin to their grimalkin, indecision is a way of life. For cats it's typically about unimportant choices. I suppose some people do struggle with making the everyday routine decisions, but for me it's more about the big decisions of career and making the most of what I've been given. I have shared these things with my close friends (and even my boss, who happens to understand me pretty well). The blessing in this is that I am not likely to make a rash decision. 

With dogs, left to their own devices, they'd just as quickly run out into traffic as to jump in your lap. Whoa, squirrel....

Where was I? Oh, yes, decisions. The long story for me since 2000 can be summarized succinctly:
  1. Returned as adult to North Park University for a bachelors in Organizational Management. As an IT manager, it seemed fitting.
  2. Graduated in 2003, and as I was walking towards my diploma (literally) I felt a sense of emptiness and how I felt I should do something else.
  3. Laid off from PrairieComm in 2005 and entered Moody Theological Seminary that fall (something I planned to do in 2004). I did not have a clear outcome in mind, but a sense that I should prepare myself biblically and theologically.
  4. Joined the pastoral team at Northwest Fellowship Baptist Church in early 2007 while going to seminary. I taught Bible to adults, occasionally preached, and did a number of administrative tasks (you'd be surprised what pastors need to do).
  5. Graduated Moody in 2010 with a Masters in Ministry, then went full-time at Northwest. However, I had a growing unrest and began thinking that I might better serve Christ as a trained layman. Other issues at the church had begun to surface that would increase my anxiety about my role there.
  6. In June 2011, things at the church culminated to a crisis point and simultaneously a door opened to my current role. It seemed, finally, some sense of direction had emerged.
  7. Two and a half years later, I still struggle between fully embracing a technology career path or some other path (should one present itself). My problem: if someone asks me what my passion is (singular), it really isn't clear. I believe I am gifted with teaching skills, and I know that God has used me to unpack Scripture in a meaningful way to people (more than merely imparting information, but in a type of pastoral application). I just don't know what to think about all of that...
None of this would be a surprise to those who know me, but I share this with a desire to invite others to pray for me. At this stage in life, any career decisions should be made with the support of those with whom I am in community and even those in the digital frontier. I have shared all of these things with my boss, who has committed to pray for me. There are many days when I do in fact see myself doing good things in that setting, and I don't wish to throw away something that might be God's provision for me. Yet like a cat that may vacillate between one option and another, I need to avail myself of Christ's guidance and loving support of his people to help me see from a greater perspective than I get at the level of a cat.

Thank you for listening to this old tomcat. Meow (that means Amen).

No comments:

Followers

Networked Blogs