Sunday, August 17, 2014

Gleanings from the Global Leadership Summit Day 2+


Now what? So what?

Any conference I've attended, no matter how profoundly impactful it feels at the time, tends to acquiesce to patterns that existed beforehand. In other words, when walking away from powerful speakers who challenged my pre-existing notions and invited me to walk a new path, application remains elusive. What does one do in the afterglow to stoke new fires for genuine change?

Grand Avenue for the Main Street of Life

Day 2 of the summit built on the themes of the previous day. There were big ideas shared by some influential leaders. Bill Hybels touched on the idea of a grand vision as major driver for individuals to excel:
There is a grander vision on planet earth with your name on it. When you find it…you’ll say I was born to do this. You’ll feel the hand of God integrated into your daily activities, and say you were born to do it. - Bill Hybels
Bill referenced the Bible again for this theme:
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” (Ephesians 2:10, ESV)
As a Christian, this verse does speak profoundly to my own personal concept of a grand vision. Below is a diagram I have created to annotate a few observations about that text, particularly highlighting the Greek word ποίημα poíēma rendered as "workmanship/creation/masterpiece" in its common English glosses in various Bible translations:

Thus, the idea of being God's masterpiece/workmanship/creation is absolutely tied to the grace imparted to the believer via faith in Christ. The result is "good works", which is the Bible's short-hand for doing those things that directly glorify God. Bringing the grand vision to everyday life is fundamentally built on the outcome resulting from salvation in Christ. Sin becomes increasingly a past-tense blight, and righteousness and hope more frequently mark the milestones of the person walking by faith and not by sight.

Power Paradox as a Foil to Self-Serving Leadership Philosophy

Ivan Satyavrata spoke of the paradox of power that exists in effective leadership, particularly when founded on Christ. It is one where, as he defined it, "a leader must be able to wield power, real power, in order to lead effectively" whilst simultaneously (herein lies the paradox) that same leader must "be genuinely vulnerable, subservient and seemingly powerless". 

God's grace is the only means by which real strength is wielded in leadership
In contrast to various worldviews that reject biblical Christianity as the overarching meta-narrative of our existence, the paradoxical principle of grace is the grandest of visions. In a song wrongly attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, the counterpoint of Christian paradox is beautifully expressed:

Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace;
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, harmony;
Where there is error, truth;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
And where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, Grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Final Take-away
I offer no apology for my Christian faith, which is rooted in the revelation of God in the Bible. The Global Leadership Summit was a useful reminder of what is most important to me: bringing glory to God in my life as a response to all that Christ has done for me. I embrace the paradox of strength in weakness. As the coming weeks and months unfold, I will ponder the implications of grace applied and use my blog as a way to explore specific applications.

Perhaps God has answered my prayer on trying to finish my Personal Syllabus series that I began at the start of summer. It has been difficult in reflecting on a personal growth strategy, but perhaps I should work on developing those areas which underscore my dependence on God's grace in every aspect of my life. With the fall season approaching, what better time to final hit the books and study:
“Make every effort to present yourself approved to God, a worker having no need to be ashamed, guiding the word of truth along a straight path.” (2 Timothy 2:15, LEB)

No comments:

Followers

Networked Blogs