Thursday, February 06, 2014

Bible Bridges: Part 4

There was a time not many years ago when English speaking congregations had but one Bible to choose. The venerable King James Bible (KJV) has indeed stood the test of time as a much loved and revered translation. When it is read aloud, even today, it generates respect and elevates the public reading of Scripture.

I personally grew up with a slightly modified version of the KJV: the Scofield Reference Bible (ca 1917) not only helped render some words in a bit more contemporary gloss for modern readers (e.g. 1 Corinthians 13 "charity" became "love"); C. I. Scofield's famous notes jump-started my Bible study as a young person. Today, I'll admit I'm a bit more cautious about Mr. Scofield's notes, but it was nice to have a commentary right there in my Bible! Many people have Study Bibles -- that is a mixed blessing, and we'll talk more about that soon.

Anyway, when I graduated from High School, my church gave me a New International Version (NIV). I began to use that version along side my trusty Scofield KJV. Then as I attended Moody Bible Institute in 1992, I was required to procure the New American Standard (NAS) for "serious study in the inductive method". More on inductive study on another installment!

My journey has since taken me to the New Living Translation (NLT 1996 and NLT second edition 2004), the English Standard Version (ESV), the Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB), the New English Translation (NET), and the Lexham English Bible (LEB). To learn more about these and other translations, check out BibleStudyTools.com. I will refrain from commenting on the quality of these English translations. Perhaps I will offer my evaluation down the road. I eschew a competitive or superior attitude about English Bibles.

The take home point today: the value in Bible study (whether in groups or on your own) is in the comparison and contrast that one can do between the translations. In seeing why one Bible differs in a gloss (a word choice) can spark deeper reflection in the study. A good method for personal study would be to take two Bible translations (say ESV and HCSB) and use them side-by-side. Observe carefully how the word choices and even word order impacts how you understand a passage. It's really thrilling to engage in this kind of study!

Questions

  1. Why would Bible translators use different words when translating from ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, or Greek? What does that tell you?
  2. What have you heard about so-called "word studies"? Why do you think pastors often talk about that in their sermons?
  3. How might we evaluate modern (or classic) English translations? How might you handle it if a fellow Christian criticizes your favorite English Translation?
Prayer

Heavenly Father, we bless your name for revealing to us your great plan of redemption in the Bible. Thank you, Lord, for protecting your Word despite criticism, attacks, and attempts to destroy the Bible. May we so revere your precious letter to us by humbly approaching the issue of Bible translations with gentleness, meekness, and charity. May the life of Christ show brightly in our lives as a result of a proper handling of the Word of God, by whom we approach the throne of grace. Amen.

No comments:

Followers

Networked Blogs