Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Bible Bridges: Part 9

As we get started on the Bible Bridges journey, I want you to actually practice using the tools of effective Bible study. I will encourage you to fill your own tool box with items that will be useful. There will certainly be things that I will encourage you to try. Perhaps you have a few ideas to share with me, too :)

So open your Bible to 1 Peter. We are going to take some steps in a rather challenging book. I selected 1 Peter to stress the need for careful analysis and study. There are times that we are simply too familiar with certain passages (everyone studies Paul). Moreover, there is simply a wonderful mix of theology and pastoral encouragement from the Apostle that some Evangelicals neglect.

The best thing we can do before we open God's Word is to invite the Lord to be with us and open our eyes. I invite you to join me praying some personalized version of this prayer each time you study Scripture:

Dear Heavenly Father,

I am about to open your Word for the purpose of growing in applied knowledge of your ways. My desired outcome, Lord, is to be transformed more and more into Christ's likeness--to be obedient to your will. I confess that I bring many ideas contrary and foreign to the text of Scripture. Father, slow me down in how I handle the biblical text so that I may be confronted by the Holy Spirit in love and gentleness. May I see the Father's unfolding plan of salvation and the gospel of Christ in authenticity and humility. And may Jesus tenderly draw me to the brethren in worship, edification, and service.

I offer this prayer in the name of Christ Jesus my Lord.
Amen.

1 Peter Overview: What is the Theme?

Since the purpose of this journey is to unpack what Scripture says, I will not short-change the process. You are encouraged to discover the theme or overall thrust of Peter's message in the first letter of Peter on your own and in your own words. Then I encourage you to share it with others in response on this blog. That will move this process from isolation to community.

How might one discover the key themes? Read the entire letter in one sitting. Devote 20-25 minutes in just reading the letter. You might try reading it out loud. Or perhaps you have a recording of it being read. Whatever you do, read the whole letter. Don't stop to take notes or dig deeply into any words or phrases. Just read it.

Then as you get read it a few times, write down some ideas you see that perhaps leap out at you. There might be repeated words of which you should take note. Perhaps you will want to do an actual count of them. But remember: you are trying to survey the land at 30,000 feet, not do a deep dive.

Try it this week. I will offer a few other suggested steps and tools to use. Let's go!

Jared

No comments:

Followers

Networked Blogs